Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Sparrows

Sparrows have certainly been more difficult for me to identify. My attitude as a new birder was they are brown and usually seen on the ground. I have chosen to share photos of the Lincoln Sparrow, White-crowned Sparrow,immature White-crowned Sparrow and the Rufous-crowned Sparrow, in that order. The Lincoln is one of a small group of birds that breed in the stunted spruce in the boreal forest. This forest is cold in the winter. The Lincoln comes south to visit. We see them in our yard. Many of the sparrows like to hide in brush piles, We make a pile of cedar branches. The birds love to fly into it when they feel threatened. The hawks are more plentiful in the yard during the winter. The White-crowned walks through the leaves moving them as they look for seed I have thrown on the ground for them. I am becoming much better at identifying my sparrows. I am excited to have several in the yard and look forward to sharing other visitors with you.





Posted by Picasa

No comments: